Pages

Thursday, 9 April 2015

First game of 3rd ed 40k in ages Plague Marines vs Orks

Had a small 500 point 3rd edition game of Warhammer 40,000 on tuesday.

My Nurgle Marines versus a friends Orks. Due to some hideous dice rolling, My blessed of nurgle were rather quickly decorating the battle field as putrid rotty smears...

Played the recon mission, meaning extra points if having your units in enemy deployment.
deployment zones are 18" across each side of board and players place a unit at a time, each time making sure it is 24" atleast, away from any of the previously placed opponent units.

the orks had;
a boss in mega armour,
2 units of boys (one slugga boys, 1 shootas)
1 unit of lootas with 4 needle sniper rifles and 1 missile launcher (he decided on marine scout weapons, I used have a unit of lootas armed devastator style)
and 1 unit of 3 bikes
(I forget the unit sizes for the boys and lootas...)

I had;
a Nurgle sorcerer
2 units of 9 plague marines each having a marine carrying a meltagun and a champion.

I had one unit sort of hiding behind a hill (brave I know!) with the other and the sorcerer ready to walk down the flank to enter his deployment.

his units occupying the centre and far right (to me) of the board.

what followed was 3 turns of failed saves and rolls to hit on my part I took out a biker and 2 boys... one of his took themself out effectively, as a looter misfired his sniper rifle... probably pointing the barrel the wrong way...

the 4th (and early) last turn his boss and mob of slugga boys charged into my then only remain plague marines, them having walked up onto the hill in a previous turn to try and shoot 'something' (probably at the floor...) I took out two boys in the combat, but was floored by the ferocity of a bucnch of hooligan 'ere we go' chanters.

redoing my 500 point list and hoping to have another go this weekend =)

pictured below... the plague marines last stand...



3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Do you use the separate codexes, or just the stats from the rule book? A few years back, a blogpost I was listening to (may have been the Overlords UK) said that 3rd Ed. was the most balanced of all the rulesets at the beginning, because they re-did all the existing codexes when the rules were released and put them into the rulebook.

    I picked a copy up on eBay for a few bucks, just to check it out. Seems like the fact that all the codexes (or at least the major ones) are included in the rulebook would make it a great entry point for anyone looking to get into WH40k on a budget.

    P.S. the terrain in the last picture, top right, is great! Where's that from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we used the seperate codex books. but I do like the ones it has within it.
      it is a nice, easy to get going with ruleset, and the foundation for all that has come since. introducing ap value, 6" troop movement etc.I do love my polyhedral dice, and modifiers to hit from 2nd ed. but due to our gaming group being as large as it is and wanting to get games in every now and again on roleplay days, 3rd ed allows a speedier play time, and is fun for what it is. (I'd be branded a heretic in certain circles for saying that =P )

      regarding terrain, oddly for my friend who usually uses his own selfmade terrain or large items found in pet shops (i think for big fish tanks or for snakes) the terrain is all gw stuff, the barricades are from a few years ago, and I forget when the large ruins were made... I'll ask him to answer this himself next he's on blogger =)

      Delete
    2. ok. went on a search, apparently its a Chapel of Sanctuary.
      I don't know what they cost when they were originally released, but there is one on ebay uk for a little over £50 as a buy it now.
      bit out of my budget, but its there if you are after it.

      Delete

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated and I'll respond as soon as I can.



Also!!! remember to click the "subscribe by email" button below the comment box on any post if you wish to receive notification of any replies. =)