Pages

Sunday, 19 April 2015

Bridges! From toy train track to Grimdark future war...

A good while ago I spied some bridges in a local Wilkinsons store. Made for those wooden train tracks I and many may have had in their youth, I saw the blue plastic supports and instantly thought "ooh! I NEED these".
Due to very tight budget of the time I decided against it (even though they are only £1.25 each, priorities still delayed my purchase)
But NOW I have them, and hope to get some buildings made to scale/level up with the bridge platforms.
From start to end photos and short description of procedures =)

First pic is of one bridge dis-assembled (though the screws aren't in shot)
one bridge intact, and the two remnants of old bed slats I had that were the same thickness as the original train track. I also use pva glue and some shorter screws (again, not pictured, I am a bit terrible at this photographing progress thing)


 I used a hacksaw to cut the wood to fit the length of the bridges and use a stanley knife to split a section away lengthwise leaving roughly 50mm width to accommodate 40mm based minis, that may be in odd poses + aid placing/moving miniatures.


Next up is a pic of the pieces put together and compared with the unmodified original.
I had to cut some white plastic tubing to act as a spacer to aid in rescrewing the top and bottom of the bridge together, I also glued the wooden slat platform to the plastic girder sections and used some short screw to replace the longer original screws, as I wasn't drilling the holes into the wood and only needed minimal depth into the wood to aid the solidity of the structure as well as for details sake to fill the hole where the original screw was.


After a touch of Paint =)


And some random shots with minis.




And one to show width and fit for miniatures.


Hoping perhaps to get a game at home soon?

Til then... slowly catching up with the painting of things and need to organise some more games with friends in games group.
Be well, bye for now. =)

9 comments:

  1. Looking good, I like the use of the spam tins as well for the supports :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spam tins are just random scatter terrain. I need to add vision slits and doors to them to finish them eventually.
      I wanted something to fill the gaps as at moment I don't have any buildings that are flush to the same level as the bridge platform.
      may get something made for that role this week?

      Delete
  2. Great terrain making, though I had to hide it from my 5 year old son - the idea of destroying model railway pieces to make wargames terrain would be too much for him. He's already annoyed at me for having a silly grown up hobby like wargaming rather than a sensible one like model trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaa! thank you, there's plenty of time to eventually steer him towards the gaming addiction. In the meantime TRAINS!!! YAY!

      Delete
  3. Awesome idea, I need to make some walkways for Necromunda, these would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well if you get these and replace the track with something of similar thickness it's 7cm from table to platform/walkway.
      (for sake of trying to match it with existing terrain)

      Delete
    2. How tall are they to the plastic support rails you lay the track on?

      Delete

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated and I'll respond as soon as I can.



Also!!! remember to click the "subscribe by email" button below the comment box on any post if you wish to receive notification of any replies. =)